In the current political environment, it is essential that nonprofit organizations know their rights and are prepared to act if the government lists the organization as a terrorist group, freezes its assets or searches its offices, computers or files.
The Know Your Rights project of the Charity & Security Network provides information, resources and training to inform nonprofits on steps they can take to protect themselves and be prepared in the event that the government moves to designate their orgnization, its director or employees; seize their assets, arrest their directors or employees, or audit their operations. The project educates organizations on permissible activities and provides up-to-date information on the rights to protest and advocacy under federal and state law.
Click on one of the sub-categories below for more information:
- ACLU: Briefing Paper on the "Specially Designated Global Terrorist" Designation Scheme and its Constitutional Flaws
- ACLU: Briefing Paper on "Foreign Terrorist Organization" Designation Scheme
- ICNL: US Protest Law Tracker
- May 8 Webinar: IRS Audits of Nonprofits - How to Avoid or Prepare
- April 5 Webinar: Steps My Organization Can Take to Protect Itself